CA Intermediate – Overview
The Chartered Accountancy examinations’ second level course is known as CA Intermediate or CA Inter. There are two groups, each with four students. A student can sign up for the ICAI CA Intermediate course after passing CA Foundation. The intermediate portion of the CA preparation course is where students gain a thorough understanding of the numerous facets of finance and accounting.
You will find all the information you need regarding the ICAI CA Intermediate course in this post.
Eligibility Criteria for CA Intermediate Course
The following two methods are available for candidates to sign up for the intermediate course:
- Through CA Foundation Course: Candidates who have qualified CA Foundation Examination conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (with minimum 50% marks).
- Through Direct Entry Route: The following candidates are allowed to directly register for the CA Intermediate course:
- A Commerce graduate/ Post-Graduate (with minimum 55% marks) or Other Graduate/ Post-Graduate ( with minimum 60% marks)
- A candidate who has passed the Intermediate level exam conducted by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India or the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
How to Register for CA Intermediate
- Login to the ICAI Self Service Portal
- Click on register for intermediate through CA Foundation / Direct entry route
- Update your details
- Pay the required fees using an online payment method
Note: ICAI will take 7 days to process your application.
CA Intermediate Registration Fees and Important Dates
Students must complete an eight-month study period after enrolling in the intermediate course.
Two times a year, in May and November, intermediate exams are administered.
Those who intend to participate in the May cycle must enroll in the intermediate course by September of the year prior, and students who wish to participate in the November cycle must enroll in the intermediate course by March of the same year.
Students taking the intermediate course via the CA foundation path may enroll in either one group or both groups. The direct admission students, however, are required to enroll for both groups at the same time.
Students who have taken the CA Foundation path may enroll in either one group or both groups of the intermediate course. The students who entered by direct entry, however, had to sign up for both groups at once.
CA Inter Fees Structure is mentioned below:
|Particulars||Both Groups (Rs.)||Both Groups||Group I/ II (Rs.)||Group I/ II|
|Students Activities Fees||2,000||2,000|
|Registration Fees as Articled Assistant||1,000|
*Cost of Prospectus Rs. 200 (20) is to be paid by direct entry students in addition to the above fees.
* Students from newly formed Union Territories of Jammu, Kashmir, and Ladakh, and North – East States need to pay only Rs4500/- for both groups and Rs3250/- for the single group if they register between 20th September 2019 and 31st March 2022. They need to upload the following self-attested documents at the time of registration (i) Domicile Certificate (ii) Proof of Identity – Aadhaar Card / Passport / Voter ID.
* The registration for an intermediate course is good for four years, and it can be renewed as many times as needed for another four years by paying a cost of Rs. 400, or as the council may determine from time to time.
CA Intermediate Exam Form And Fees
Students who want to take the tests must complete the exam/application form made available by the ICAI.
The steps listed below can be used to complete the intermediate examination form:
- Log in to the official website( icaiexam.icai.org)
- Click on apply now
- Fill in the required details and click on Save & Preview
- Make the required payment of fees online
- Download the PDF form
The following are the details for the Intermediate Exam Fee:
|For Both Groups||For Single Group|
|For Indian Centres||INR 2700||INR 1500|
|For Kathmandu (Nepal) Centre||INR 3400||INR 2200|
|For Overseas Centres (Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Muscat)||US $500||US $ 325|
CA Intermediate Admit Card
Before 14 days before the exam, the ICAI posts the CA Intermediate admission card on its official website (icaiexam.icai.org). The applicants must sign onto the internet and print their admit cards on A4-sized paper. Each candidate must provide a printed copy of their admit card to the testing location.
Contents on the CA Intermediate Admit Card
- Name of the Candidate
- Candidate’s Photograph and Signature
- Name of the Examination Centre
- Roll Number
- Groups enrolled
- Examination City
- Medium of Examination
- Candidate’s Address
- Exam day instructions for candidates
CA intermediate Syllabus & Subjects
The CA Intermediate Examination is a paper-and-pencil exam. There are two groups of four subjects each, for a total of eight subjects in the CA Inter course.
The details for the CA Intermediate New Syllabus is as follows:
Paper 1: Accounting ( Three hours – 100 Marks)
- Process of formulation of Accounting Standards including Ind ASs (IFRS converged standards) and IFRS; convergence vs adoption; objective and concepts of carve-outs.
- Framework for Preparation and Presentation of Financial Statements (as per Accounting Standards).
- Application of Accounting Standards
- Company Accounts
- Accounting for Special Transactions
- A special type of Accounting
Paper 2: Corporate and Other Laws (Three hours – 100 Marks)
- Part I: Company Law (60 Marks)
- The Companies Act, 2013 – Sections 1 to 148
- Part II: Other Laws (40 Marks)
- The Indian Contract Act, 1872
- The Negotiable Instruments Act,1881
- The General Clauses Act, 1897
- Interpretation of Statutes
Paper 3: Cost and Management Accounting (Three hours – 100 Marks)
- Overview of Cost and Management Accounting
- Introduction to Cost and Management Accounting
- Elements of Cost and preparation of cost sheets.
- Ascertainment of Cost and Cost Accounting System
- Material Cost
- Employee Cost
- Concepts of Activity Based Costing (ABC)
- Recording and Accounting Costs
- Methods of Costing
- Single Output/ Unit Costing
- Job Costing
- Batch Costing
- Contract Costing
- Process/ Operation Costing
- Costing of Service Sectors
- Cost Control and Analysis
- Standard Costing
- Marginal Costing
- Budget and Budgetary Control
Paper 4: Taxation (Three hours – 100 Marks)
Section A: Income Tax Law (60 Marks)
- Basic Concepts
- Residential Status and scope of Total Income
- Incomes that do not form part of total income
- Heads of income and the provisions governing computation of income under different heads
- Income of other persons included in assessee’s total income
- Aggregation of income, Set-off or carry forward and set off of losses
- Deductions from gross total income
- Computation of Total Income and tax liability of individuals
- Advance tax, tax deduction at source, and introduction to tax collection at source
- Provisions for filing return of income and self-assessment
Section B: Indirect Taxes (40 Marks)
- Concept of indirect taxes
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) Laws
Paper 5: Advanced Accounting (Three hours – 100 Marks)
- Application of Accounting Standards
- Special Aspects of Company Accounts
- Reorganization and liquidation of Companies
- Banking Companies and Non-Banking Financial Companies and regulatory requirements thereof.
- Consolidated Financial Statements
- Dissolution of partnership firms including piecemeal distribution of assets; Amalgamation of partnership firms; Conversion of partnership firm into a company and Sale to a company; Issues related to accounting in Limited Liability Partnership
Paper 6: Auditing and Assurance (Three hours – 100 Marks)
- Nature, Objective, and Scope of Audit
- Audit Strategy, Audit Planning and Audit Programme
- Audit Documentation and Audit Evidence
- Risk Assessment and Internal Control
- Fraud and Responsibilities of the Auditor in this Regard
- Audit in an Automated Environment
- Audit Sampling
- Analytical Procedures
- Audit of Items of Financial Statements
- The Company Audit
- Audit Report
- Audit of Banks
- Audit of Different Types of Entities
Paper 7: Enterprise Information System & Strategic Management ( Three hours – 100 Marks)
Section A: Enterprise Information System (50 Marks)
- Automated Business Processes
- Financial and Accounting Systems
- Information Systems and its Components
- E-commerce, M-commerce, and Emerging Technologies
- Core Banking Systems
Section B: Strategic Management (50Marks)
- Introduction to Strategic Management
- Dynamics of Competitive Strategy
- Strategic Management Process
- Corporate Level Strategies
- Business Level Strategies
- Functional Level Strategies
- Organisation and Strategic Leadership
- Strategy Implementation and Control
Paper 8: Financial Management & Economics for Finance ( Three hours – 100 Marks)
Section A: Financial Management (60 Marks)
- Financial Management and Financial Analysis
- Introduction to Financial Management Function
- Financial Analysis through Ratios
- Financing Decisions
- Sources of Finance
- Cost of Capital
- Capital Structure Decisions
- Capital Investment and Dividend Decisions
- Capital Investment Decisions
- Adjustment of Risk and Uncertainty in Capital Budgeting Decision
- Dividend Decisions
- Management of Working Capital
Section B: Economics for Finance (40 Marks)
- Determination of National Income
- Public Finance
- The Money Market
- International Trade
The question papers of the following papers will have two parts: Part 1 comprising of MCQs (30marks) and Part 2 comprising of descriptive type questions (70 marks) :
- Paper 2: Corporate and Other Laws
- Paper 4: Taxation
- Paper 6: Auditing and Assurance
- Paper 7: Enterprise and Information Systems and strategic management
CA Intermediate Results
The ICAI announces the results of Intermediate on the official website after two months of the examination.
The Details for checking CA Intermediate Results are below:
- Visit the official website of ICAI and click on Foundation Results
- Enter your Credentials i.e., 6 digit roll number, Pin/ registration number, and captcha code
- Click Submit
Here is an analysis of the passing percentage of the CA Intermediate July 2021 Examination:
|Candidates applied for||No. of Candidates appeared||No. of Candidates passed||Pass Percentage|
How to Prepare for CA Intermediate
CA Inter is not that easy to clear. You need a lot of hard work, dedication, proper strategy, and multiple revisions to get through the hurdle. Here are some tips to help you in your preparations:
- Make a proper timetable alloting required time for each subject
- The candidate should focus on the institute’s study material
- Revise the entire syllabus at least 3-4 times.
- Make summary notes for all the subjects for quick revision
- Enroll in the test series. It will help in time management and practice.
- Attempt Previous Year Question Papers. It will help in analyzing the trend of Examination.
CA Intermediate Classes
A Candidate can prepare for CA Intermediate Examination through self-study or Coachings. But it is preferable to enroll in Classes to leave no stone unturned in your CA Intermediate Course Preparation. Classes will not only help in clearing all the concepts but also provide you with the guidance to channelize your preparations in the right direction.
One can also enroll for CA Intermediate Course offered by TOPPER’S CLASSES which is India’s best CA preparation destination. You can learn from the top educators with online classes from the comfort of your home. It has engaging HD videos which can be accessed anytime, student-friendly notes, exam-style assessments.
Commencement of Articleship
After clearing either or both the groups of CA intermediate, a student has to under go an articleship/ practical training for a period of 3 years.
Before the commencement of articleship, a student has to undergo 2 practical trainings of 4 weeks duration each i.e., ICITSS and AICITSS.
All these three trainings are compulsory in nature.
You can join the articleship after clearing either of the groups of intermediate. However, it is advisable to join an articleship after completing both the groups of the Intermediate course. Most of the CA Firms including Big4s prefer article assistants who have completed their intermediate course as they will be able to focus completely on work. Also, joining an articleship after completing the intermediate course will help you in learning all the aspects of the practical world without stressing about the intermediate studies and you can also start your CA Final studies timely.